# Minimal Documentation
Minimal is an [open source](https://github.com/kepano/obsidian-minimal) distraction-free theme for [Obsidian](https://obsidian.md/), by [@kepano](https://twitter.com/kepano).
Minimal is the most popular Obsidian theme, and winner of the official _Best Theme_ award. Minimal makes it easy to customize the appearance of Obsidian, to create your ideal thought processing environment.
Support development on [Buy me a coffee](https://www.buymeacoffee.com/kepano) and [Twitter](https://twitter.com/kepano)
<a href="https://www.buymeacoffee.com/kepano"><img src="https://img.buymeacoffee.com/button-api/?text=Buy me a coffee&emoji=&slug=kepano&button_colour=6a8695&font_colour=ffffff&font_family=Poppins&outline_colour=000000&coffee_colour=FFDD00" width="180px"></a> <a href="https://github.com/kepano/obsidian-minimal"><img src="https://img.shields.io/github/stars/kepano/obsidian-minimal?style=social" style="padding:7px 7px 5px" width="125"></a>
# Get started
**Install Minimal theme**
[Open in Obsidian](obsidian://show-theme?name=Minimal) or follow the steps below:
1. Open Obsidian Settings
2. Go to `Appearance` and click `Manage`
3. Search for “Minimal” and click `Install and use`
**Install the companion plugin**
[Open in Obsidian](obsidian://show-plugin?id=obsidian-minimal-settings) or follow the steps below:
1. Go to `Community plugins` and turn off `Safe mode`
2. Search for “Minimal Theme Settings” and click `Install`, then `Enable`
Minimal offers multiple options for [[background contrast]] including a true black option ideal for OLED devices. This feature also supports popular [[color schemes]] such as Solarized, Nord, and Gruvbox.
[[Helper classes]] for [[tables]] and [[cards]] allow you to create powerful workflows.
Combining [[focus mode]] with [[image grids]] and [[block width]] options allows you to immerse yourself in visual projects.
Minimal includes support for dozens of popular plugins like **Calendar**, **Kanban**, **Dataview**, **Outliner**, **Excalidraw**, and more.
Every screen in the Obsidian app has been revised to create a cohesive experience, including **settings**, **plugin browser**, **sync**, **publish**, and **file recovery**.
# Recommended plugins
To customize Minimal, install the following plugins:
- [[Minimal Theme Settings]] allows you to customize [[color schemes]], fonts, [[Hotkeys]], and theme features. This plugin is highly recommended for all users of Minimal
- [[Hider]] hides Obsidian UI elements such as window frame, scrollbars, tooltips, etc. When using Hider to turn off the app toolbar/ribbon, it can be accessed by hovering over the bottom left edge of the window
- [[Contextual Typography]] is required for advanced layout features such as [[Image grids]] and [[Block width]]
- [[Style Settings]] allows you to create custom [[Color schemes]]
# App-level features
- [[Active line highlighting]]
- [[Background contrast]]
- [[Color schemes]]
- [[Colorful frame]]
- [[Colorful headings]]
- [[Focus mode]]
- [[Image zoom]]
- [[Line width]]
- [[Match system theme]]
- [[Tab styles]]
- [[Text labels for primary navigation]]
# Block-level features
- [[Block width]]
- [[Helper classes]]
- [[Images#Image filters|Image filters]]
# Block types
- [[Embeds]] and transclusions
- [[Image grids]]
- [[Progress bars]]
# Plugin support
- [[Charts plugin]]
- [[Contextual Typography]] — required for [[Image grids]] and [[Block width]]
- [[Sortable]] — recommended for [[Cards]] and [[Tables]]
- [[Style Settings]]
- [[Create a movie database]]
- [[macOS configuration|Make Obsidian feel like a native macOS app]]
Visit the [[Help|Help page]] for troubleshooting. Have a question? Join the [Minimal channel](https://discord.com/channels/686053708261228577/931008597557649410) on the official [Obsidian Discord](https://discord.gg/veuWUTm).
If you would like add [[Plugin support]], or have found a bug you would like to help fix, don't hesitate to open a pull request. Have a question? Join the [Minimal channel](https://discord.com/channels/686053708261228577/931008597557649410) on the official [Obsidian Discord](https://discord.gg/veuWUTm).
- [[Local development]]
- [[Plugin support]]